Skip to main content

Mock Up Mishaps

Hi all,

T has been complaining lately about the fact that all his shirts are too short. He likes his shirts tucked in. Which is impossible when the shirt tails are only an inch lower than his waistband. It drives him nuts.

Good job he knows someone with a sewing machine. Any excuse to go fabric and pattern shopping, right?

The chosen pattern was Simplicity 1544 from 2013. 


As I haven’t made a man’s shirt before, I definitely knew that a mock up was essential before attempting the real garment. I chose what I thought to be a Cotton Broadcloth. It was in a Thanksgiving sale last November. At $2.89 a yard it was a bargain. 

Or so I thought. It turned out to be a polycotton blend with a slightly satin/silky feel to it.

I mentioned in a previous post that mock ups need to be in a fabric that closely matches the material you’ll be using for the real item. As T only likes cotton shirts, I’ll be making his shirt from 100% cotton.

The fabric delivery had been delayed for over a month so it was after Christmas when I finally got a good look at the quality of the material. 

One of the big drawbacks of online shopping, not being able to touch, feel or pull at your fabric of choice.

Still, onward and upwards. T needs shirts and has been waiting since November last year.

I decided to go ahead with the mock up using the polycotton. Too much time had already gone by. It was mid-January before I even started cutting the pieces out.

Oh boy, did I struggle with this fabric! It’s got a slippery texture and just slides all over the place when you sew it. By the time I got to Instruction number 14 on the pattern, I was ready to throw in the towel. Or better still, the shirt out the window.

Lesson learned. Fabric goes on sale for $2.89 a yard for a reason.

Luckily, I’m built of a certain stubbornness which refuses to give in. I soldered on, albeit through gritted teeth and the odd choice word here and there.

Here is the finished mock up.







I didn’t bother with buttons for this. The mock up isn’t wearable. With all the fabric fighting I was doing, I managed to stitch the interfaced side of one of the cuffs to the right side of the shirt. I guess I’m still having issues with which side is what

Anyway, the pattern is easy to follow. Which is great. One of the reasons I’ve never attempted a man’s shirt before is they’re supposed to be complicated. This pattern proves they are not. Fiddly in places, yes. But not complicated. The shirt starts looking like a shirt pretty early on, which is uplifting. A much needed confidence boost when the fabric is a challenge to work with.

There are some bits of the pattern I’ll change before making the real shirt.

Finishing Seams
The instructions for the sleeves go as follows, “Stitch. Stitch again 1/8" (3mm) from first stitching. Trim seam below notches close to stitching. Press seam towards shirt”. 


OK, well, that sounds a bit more complicated than it needed to be. Basically, you stitch the seam at the seam allowance, then stitch another row inside the allowance, turn the shirt over to the right side, and topstitch.

What it didn’t say, was fold the raw edges of the seam under. This would have created a flat felled seam and covered the raw edges neatly. 


As it is, I can see the raw edges and my notches through the fabric. Now, this isn’t a fault with the pattern. It’s human error. Otherwise known as my ditzyness showing though.

With any commercial pattern, there is a certain amount of expected knowledge. The pattern makers presume you know how to finish seams and will do so the way you prefer. They don’t always mention how because it’s your choice. Apart from men’s shirt seams. They are nearly always flat felled. Because it looks nice and gives an added strength to the seam.

I was so engrossed in following the instructions because I was expecting this project to be difficult, I tripped over the obvious. Allowing for seam finishing got lost in the deepest darkest depths of my brain. Misfiled under “things to forget”. Oops.

It’s a good job this is the mock up.

This picture shows what the seam should look like. 



This is why mock ups are so important. They don’t just help you with fit. Doing a test garment helps you find problem areas within the pattern. From vague instructions to working through complex sections. The test piece allows you to practice the pattern, to hone your skills so the actual garment will be the best you can make it.


Plackets
Sleeves on men’s shirts have plackets near the cuffs. The style on this shirt was for a tower placket, or a house placket. So called because the top looks like a tower or a little house. 


I found creating the placket fiddly beyond belief. No matter what I did I could not get the fabric to lay flat once I’d turned it to the right side. I think I’ve spent most of the time on this project over on the dark side! Thankfully, it doesn’t matter too much. This is just a test after all. It gave me some much needed practice in doing plackets, something I haven’t had to do before.

I’ll be trying out the plackets again on some scraps of actual 100% cotton fabric before sewing the real shirt.

I’m hoping the main difficulties for this part are fabric related. Not only does this polycotton move when you stitch it, it doesn’t iron well either.

Length
When T tried the mock up, it was only an inch longer than his existing shirts. So, I’ll need to lengthen the front, back and the front bands where the buttons go. Which means I’ll have to change the button placement slightly so they’re spread evenly down the front.

Apart from that, the shirt fits really well and I’m pleased with how the mock up turned out. Hopefully, when I make the actual shirt from this plaid cotton shirting, it will be a walk in the park. 


Fingers crossed!

My next challenge will be pattern matching plaid. Sewing your own clothes is a never ending learning curve guaranteed to keep you on your toes!

But that’s a topic for a future post.

Follow my blog Simply Stitchy, so you don’t miss the post where I let you know how I get on. Liking my Facebook page will not only help me out, but you’ll be able to keep up to date with all that I do.

Bye for now

Olly


Thanks for reading. For more sewing tips and pattern reviews follow me on:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a