Skip to main content

It’s A Wombleful World

Hi all,

I mentioned a few posts back that I needed to get a more diverse range of sewingpatterns. Now, at the time, I meant that I needed to stock up on clothing patterns like shirts, tops, jackets, and maybe leggings.

Did I also mention that I am a pushover for soft toy patterns? 

From rag dolls to teddy bears, I have a growing collection of fluffy cuteness smiling at me from my pattern box.

It wasn’t a shock to me, or anyone that knows me, when these two beauties arrived in the mail. 



Well, actually it was a bit of a surprise.

I was only really expecting this one. It’s from 1974. McCalls UK60



The second, McCalls 4780, from 1975 was a bit out of the blue. I’m still not sure where, when or even if I ordered this one... It’s a very welcome addition though. 



The Wombles was a British Children’s TV show based on the books by Elizabeth Beresford. Cute little eco-warriors way ahead of their time. Recycling rubbish left behind by humans on Wimbledon Common. The ever resourceful Tobermory would refashion useful gadgets and gizmos for the Womble burrow from the stuff they collected.

It’s great to be able to compare two very similar patterns from two different years. Both are in great condition and better still – uncut! I’m going to guess that the reasons for the differences on near identical patterns is down to the country they were released in.

Although it isn’t specifically mentioned, the UK60 would have been aimed primarily at the UK. The top left hand corner shows that it would have been UK Price C. Unfortunately, I’ve no idea what that price would have been. Two other bits of information from the pattern tell me this is definitely for the UK. The instructions for fabric requirements ask for double knitting wool for Orinoco’s scarf. Measurements are in inches but show the metric conversion. The UK went metric in the early 70s. 



The other pattern McCalls 4780, would have been aimed at the US and Canada markets. The wool needed for Orinoco’s scarf is worsted weight and measurements are only in inches. Canada went metric around 1975, the same time as the release of this pattern. That’s probably why they got this one instead of UK60.




Both patterns were available in South Africa. I find this fascinating and so cool! I never knew Wombles were a thing in the USA or Canada, never mind South Africa. The pattern envelope is right! It really is a “Wombleful World”.

The price for South Africa on both patterns, even in two different years, is the same at R1.35. From that I can assume the UK price would have been around the same price as the US at 1.50GBP, give or take 10p here or there and depending on what the exchange rate was back then.

I loved the Wombles as a child and have to say, I’m tickled pink to own these two patterns. I don't have any plans to make them... you never know though… if I find the right fur fabric, maybe a bit of plush…

Is that eBay I can hear calling?

Bye for now

Olly


Thanks for reading. For more sewing tips and pattern reviews follow me on:

Facebook.com/olwenwhite/
instagram.com/olwenwhitewrites/
Twitter @OlwenWhite

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a