Skip to main content

Adjusting a 1960s Pattern

Hi all,

In a recent post, I mentioned that I was planning to sew McCalls 5495.


The pattern is easy to follow and comes together quickly. I was really pleased with the overall style of the top and how it came out. 

Having said that, there were a few things I changed after making the toile. It’s not a multi-sized pattern so I knew I would have to alter it slightly. Besides being too small, I wanted to use a Ponte knit and the pattern wasn’t designed for that fabric.

A top sewing tip – if you are thinking about using a stretch knit like Ponte for a pattern designed for woven fabrics, always do a test run first.

The first alteration I made was increasing the length by 3 inches as I felt it was a bit short in the body for me. 


Lengthening a Pattern


All sewing patterns have lengthen and shorten lines printed horizontally across the front and back pieces.

To add 3 inches, I cut along the line and added an extra piece of tissue paper measuring 3 inches, taping it securely to the top and bottom of the pattern piece. With an alteration like this, you need to remember to do the same for both front and back pieces.

The second was an alteration for a narrow shoulder. 
 

Adjusting Shoulder Length

To adjust the shoulder, measure from the neckline to the edge of your shoulder. Compare this to the pattern piece. Remember to allow for seam allowance and any shoulder darts. Both of those will add extra fabric length to the shoulder that gets used up in the sewing process.

In this case, my shoulder was 5.5 inches and the pattern was 6 inches before adding seam allowance. I wanted to use a knit fabric so didn’t need the dart. I folded that out of the way before measuring the shoulder length. Even then, I still had to lose half an inch.

It’s not a lot but, that half inch really impacts on the ability to move. With the shoulder out by just that little bit, I couldn’t raise my arm properly in the toile. It meant my armhole was too low. 
 
Top sewing tip – to fit nicely, the shoulder seam of your garment needs to sit on the edge of your shoulder. If the seam drops over the edge onto your arm, it will cause the armhole to get in the way of lifting your arm.

Just like the lengthening alteration above, both front and back pieces have to be altered. Only this time, instead of splitting the amount, you take off the half inch or whatever from both pieces. 
 

Mark a point on the shoulder line and draw a dotted line down towards the armhole. When you are level with a straight section of the armhole, draw a line from your dotted line to the edge of the armhole. Avoid the curves of the armhole as it’s tricky to blend alterations back in if you’re on a curve.

Measure half inch above your new dotted line and mark. This is the mark to move your newly cut pattern section up to.

Cut on your dotted lines. 

Now, the neck point and edge of the shoulder need to be kept in line. This is one part of the pattern you do not want to change.

Push the cut section in towards your mark but keep that neck and shoulder line level.
Your armhole will be out of line. This is fine. We can fix that by blending or rounding out the armhole.



Pushing the section inwards creates a little step. Draw a small line through the middle of the step and then blend the curve gradually upwards to meet the top of the armhole, and down to the underarm. Both the top and bottom of the armhole must remain intact and in the same place.

Both alterations were made to the traced copy of the pattern. Tracing helps keep the original pattern in one piece. As this particular pattern is from 1960, it’s going to be hard to replace if it gets damaged. I really like this shirt and will be making it again. Probably in a summer weight woven like cotton. Something I wouldn’t be able to do if the original pattern had been altered to suit a stretch knit.

I hope you enjoyed this post. Thanks for reading. Don’t forget to share with your friends, or comment below if you liked it and would like to see more.

Bye for now

Olly

Facebook.com/olwenwhite/
instagram.com/olwenwhitewrites/
Twitter @OlwenWhite

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a