Skip to main content

What You Should Look For When Buying Used Sewing Patterns

 

Hi all,

Happy New Year!

This time of year is all about clearing out the old and bringing in the new. Not only are we saying hello to a new year, but also a new decade. The 2020s are upon us. I wonder if they will be as roaring as the 1920s.

I've been thinking a lot about old and new lately. It seems we live in a throw away age of fast fashion and disposable garments. No sooner has something been worn and washed, it's out of date and clogging up a landfill somewhere.

I'm making it my mission for 2020 to sew more of my own clothes. My goal is to sew, alter and mend rather than buy ready made fashion designed to last five minutes.

In order to make more of my own clothes, I'm going to need a more diverse range of sewing patterns. My collection so far seems to be a little... eclectic with a heavy dollop of cute. I'm a pushover for a soft toy pattern.



 
Unfortunately, commercial sewing patterns can be expensive. When you add the cost of the pattern to the price of fabric, stitching your own clothes can work out more expensive than buying ready to wear. 

So why do any of us bother sewing our own clothes?

Fits a Treat 
The first reason is fit. Ready to wear clothing comes in a range of sizes but, if you fall between those sizes things start looking too big or too small. If you sew it yourself, you can adjust it to fit you perfectly.

Pattern, Style and Fabric
The second reason is you get to choose the pattern on the fabric, the type of fabric and the color combinations. Instead of being just another top on a rack full of the same shirt, your own self-made garment will be unique.

Better For The Planet
Another positive is that it’s more environmentally friendly. Especially if you pay attention to where you buy your supplies. From using local fabric stores to upcycling discarded items at a thrift store, it all helps to reduce your carbon footprint.
I tend to buy my fabric and patterns from local thrift stores and yard sales. Buying second hand is a great way to cut the cost of what is fast becoming an expensive past-time. It also reduces the number of items heading for landfill.


There are some things to consider though. Particularly when buying used sewing patterns.

Make sure the patterns are in good condition
The biggest drawback with used patterns is that sometimes they are cut. If they are cut, there is a distinct chance some pieces will be missing. There's nothing worse than opening up a pattern to find the parts you need are no longer in the packet. 
 
I was given a used cut pattern once by a cashier at a charity shop. I was buying some others and she thought I’d like it. It had been in the store for a while and she probably just wanted to get rid of it. The pattern was in a really bad state of repair. The packet was ripped with bits hanging off it; the tissue was stuffed in roughly and it was badly crumpled.

When I opened it out, all that was in there was the waste tissue from around the pattern pieces. The pieces themselves were gone. 

Thrift stores or charity shops probably won’t know if the pattern is complete. And it’s not usually practical to open up a pattern in a store and start checking for pieces. 

Patterns on eBay or Etsy usually state if the pattern is cut or not. If it doesn’t ask the seller before you commit to purchase. Always check the pictures as these will help determine if a pattern is used.
 
A good rule of thumb in both cases is to check the condition of the pattern. The better the condition, the more chance it will be complete.

Here are a few examples:


This New Look pattern has been taken out of the packet and unfolded. 

But it isn't cut. Someone has taken care to refold it neatly. 

It's in good usable condition.

 




You see how the edges of the pieces on this Simplicity pattern are all at different levels? Some are on a slant; some are a bit crumpled? 

This pattern is cut. It may be missing some pieces or be cut to a smaller size than you need.   





Of the two, the one to go for would be the top one, the refolded one. 


Factory folded is fantastic. 
 
 
What do I mean by factory folded? Well, this means that the pattern is definitely uncut. This New Look pattern is in excellent condition.








 
It hasn't been unfolded since it left the factory. These are the best patterns to look for on eBay, Etsy or from second hand stores. 









As you can see the pattern is neat, the folded lines are crisp. The pieces are in pristine condition.

Buying second hand can be great for the sustainability of both your pocket and the planet. But choose wisely.  An abused pattern will dent your sewing mojo. And that's not good for planet or pocket. 

Bye for now
Olly
 

Thanks for reading. For more sewing tips and adventures follow me:

Facebook.com/olwenwhite/

instagram.com/olwenwhitewrites/

Twitter @OlwenWhite

 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a