Skip to main content

How to Move Abroad and Take Your Sewing Machine With You!

 

 

Image (c) Olwen White 2023

Hi all, 

Many of us get attached to our sewing machines. They become our sewing buddies. We get to know them and their quirks... and they get to know how to push our buttons too! 

But the thing is, for many of us faced with the life-changing adventure of moving to a new country, it can be hard to say goodbye to our faithful sewing companions. 

Electrical appliances tend to have a motor that is suitable for use in the country you live in. Although some have dual voltage, like hair straighteners and travel irons, many don't. 

It's easy to take a dual voltage device with you when you travel. With a range that spans 110 volts to 240 volts, you can use a dual voltage electrical item pretty much anywhere in the world. Well, as long as there is a mains socket to plug it into.

As electrical outlets differ from country to country, you'll find that the style of plug will change depending on where you are heading. All you need to overcome that hurdle, is a travel adapter. 


Ceptics World Travel Adapter

 

For longer stays, you can even swap out the plug on your item. That can be useful sometimes... particularly if your like me and keep losing your adapter!

Unfortunately, your less portable items like televisions, washing machines, tumble dryers, and your favourite sewing machine don't tend to be dual voltage. They aren't the kind of things you'd normally pack to go on a world sightseeing trip so they don't need to be.  

Although things are changing and more and more electrical items are going down the dual voltage route, many older products are restricted to one of two systems. Either 110-120 volts (60HTZ) like the US, Canada, and many parts of South America. Or 220-240 volts (50HTZ) like the UK, Europe, Australia, and many other parts of the world.

Jerome, my Janome QC6260 is a UK powered sewing machine. He was made for the UK power system which is 230 volts. I was gutted at the thought of leaving him behind when I moved to the USA. The US is on a 110 volt system which is a lower voltage. Jerome would be unable to work properly. He would be struggling to get enough juice. 

 

Image (c) Olwen White 2023
 

The good news, for me and you if you're planning to make the move to a new country, is you don't have to leave your sewing machine behind. 

You can get one of these:

Pyle Step Up Step Down Converter: https://amzn.to/3K6GKyg
 

It's a step up step down transformer. And it converts the 110 volt power supply in the US to the 230 volts I need to power my UK Janome sewing machine! I get to use my sewing machine and Jerome gets to stay with me. It's a win-win!

I've put an Amazon link to a step up step down converter under the image. But, there is one more thing you need to know before you buy one for your sewing machine. There is more to electricity than volts. You also have to consider watts. 

These converters come in a range of different watts. The one I have is 500 watts. Check your electrical information on your sewing machine. There should be a label close to where you insert the mains cable. It will tell you the wattage of your item. Make sure the transformer you choose has a wattage that is higher than your sewing machine!

So if your sewing machine is 400 watts, for instance, go for a 500 watt transformer. If it's 550 watts, go for the next size up which is 1000 watts. 

For more information on step up step down converters, why not check out my video on Youtube:


As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a referral fee on any qualified sales made using the Amazon links shared in this blog. This doesn't cost you any extra but does help support me and my channel. Links can be found under the product images.

Like my blog? Help support me and my channel: Donate to: https://ko-fi.com/simplystitchy
 
Follow Simply Stitchy on Social Media: 
Twitter: @olwenwhite 
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/SimplyStitchy/




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a