Skip to main content

Stretching My Collection With A New-To-Me Brand

Hi all,

I’m starting to think sewing patterns are becoming my new thimbles. My other blog over at Simply Thimbles is about my thimble collection. Which grew to over 800 in no time at all. It all started with a tiny little bear thimble I found on eBay.

Well, I’m fast becoming the proud owner of an ever increasing collection of sewing patterns. Only a few of which I’ve actually got around to sewing. I just can’t resist a cute sewing pattern when I see one. Or two. OK, three or four. Especially when the pattern is for something I know T, Eldest or Youngest will adore. If I’m getting a pattern for them, I may as well pick out the ones I like too, right?

Thrift stores are a great source of cheap sewing patterns. You do have to be careful though. Some stores bag up the patterns and sell as a bundle for between $2 - $4 which is fine. But, you can’t check the condition or completeness of any of the patterns. Or tell what patterns you’re getting.

My local thrift store sells them individually. I got a bargain with this haul.


They were just 29 cents each! Now if I’d known that before I got to the checkout, I’d have grabbed more!

These are the first Stretch & Sew patterns in my collection. Stretch & Sew was founded by Ann Person in Oregon. Not only did she run the company, she also designed all the patterns.Unfortunately, she died back in 2015 but not before she became an inspiration to home sewists.

With instructions on using a sewing machine or serger, the patterns focus on using knit fabrics. Ann Person took the mystery out of stitching with knits. Her easy to follow instructions, tips and “stretch and sew” method were a cinch to follow for beginners and the more advanced.

Both taller and wider than my other patterns, these will tower above everything else and stand out in my pattern box for sure. Well, actually, to stand, I’ll need to get them a bigger box. Meanwhile, they’ll have to be kept flat.

It’s not just the size of these patterns that differs. The instructions are in a booklet format rather than a sheet. The pattern itself isn’t the usual tissue paper. It’s more of a lightweight printer paper.

Oh and be still my beating heart! The instructions say the pattern can be cut or… traced! I’m over the moon and on cloud 9! Ann Person recommended pattern tracing!

Lets take a closer look at the patterns.

First up we have Stretch & Sew 1711 Mens Action Jackets from 1979.

That’s a fancy title for what I’d call a Bomber Jacket. Named after the leather jackets worn by pilots flying planes in both World Wars.

Cockpits back when war planes first took off, were a little on the chilly side. So much so that the US Military designed the Flight Jacket in 1917 to keep pilots warm. It hit Civvy street around the 1950s/1960s and is now an iconic garment that is always stylish and in fashion. You could say, it’s in Vogue. Only that’s a different brand.

Unfortunately, the previous owner skipped the part where it says “pattern can be traced” and decided to cut this one. Gosh darn it! To a size 42. So I’ll have to size it back up if I make one for T.

Pattern number 2 is Stretch & Sew 759 for City Shorts from 1985.

This one is uncut. What a relief!

Next up is pattern number 3. Also uncut.

Would you just look at the shoulder pads in Stretch & Sew 1571 from 1986!

Why did the 1980s have a such a shoulder pad fetish?

Apparently, it was all down to power dressing. As more and more women broke through the glass ceiling to high managerial positions, the need to be seen as strong and assertive became paramount. Hence the square shoulder shape. The larger your shoulder pads, the more of a b… forceful person you were. Obviously, it was the 80s. A decade of excess and doing things to the extreme. The mantra back then was “more is more”!

Thankfully the pattern shows the pads are optional. Phew!

The one thing I noticed about this last one is the price increase. Both the 1979 and 1985 patterns were $3.50. The 1986 is $4.00. Some of the Simplicity patterns I have from the same era are $5.75. Making the Stretch & Sew pattern series not just easy to sew but also affordable.

I must admit, I’m hooked. These look super easy to stitch and I’m looking forward to getting started on them. I do however have a small sewing line forming.



Eldest’s trench coat has yet to be cut out.



As for the skorts, I still need to pick out a fabric for those.


My day needs more hours… or tempting patterns need to stop calling out to me. Can’t see either happening any time soon.


...There’s a nice wiggle skirt pattern from 1965 coming up on eBay… **Sigh** I’m a lost cause.

Bye for now,

Olly

For more sewing tips and adventures, follow me:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a