Skip to main content

Hiding in Plain Sight

Hi all

I found this quilt top at a yard sale.

According to legend, this quilt block design was one of a number used as part of the Underground Railroad. A support system geared to helping slaves flee the southern States of America for the safety and freedom of the north and Canada. Active from the late 1700s through the American Civil War, the busiest period was around 1830s to 1860s.

Known as Flying Geese, there is more than a little bit of mystery surrounding the use and meaning of this particular quilt block. If it was a design linked to the Underground Railroad, there is a choice of two possible definitions. Some say the message is to follow the migrating geese flying north in the Spring. Others, simply follow the direction of the arrows.

Whether quilts were used in this way is debunked one minute and confirmed the next. It depends on who you talk to. Little written evidence exists to prove or dispel the theory. Not really surprising considering the slaves who made the quilts were either not allowed to read and write or couldn’t.

Would they have written anything down, even if they could? With the potential for the information to fall into the wrong hands? It’s doubtful. The need to keep it a secret would have been more important.

Dating the quilt blocks highlights an interesting similarity. According to Sandra Starley, the writer of Covering Quilts back in 2016, The Flying Geese block first appeared in the late 1700s. With an increase in the frequency of sightings through the 1830s and 40s.

Which is a close match to the busiest period for the Underground Railroad.

Coincidence? Maybe.

I personally believe it’s entirely feasible. What better way to hide something than with some inspirational sewing magic? Concealing the secret out in the open.

Hiding it in plain sight.

Unfortunately, although I have found information on both the quilt blocks and the Underground Railroad, there is no definite link between the two. As far as historians are concerned, it’s all just supposition and a mystery that may never be proven one way or the other.

Which brings me to another mystery. The age of this quilt top. I’ve no idea how old it is. Fabric color and design suggest sometime in the last 15 – 25 years or so, but it’s anyone’s guess.

What I do know, the colors are so bright and vibrant and the stitch work is exemplary.

It was such a shame to unfold it and find one solitary triangle with a large tear running from one side to the other.

To be honest, the little rip was probably the reason it was in the sale. This kind of hole is going to need some innovative stitching magic to hide it.

Usually when the tear is in the seam line, it’s just a case of re-stitching the seam. This one is a little trickier. With the slit running across the width of the triangle top, it looks more like the Grand Canyon than a repairable gash.

Fear not dear quilt top! I have a plan!

Armed with my trusty needle, thread and some iron-on patches from the local thrift store, I set to work.


First step, trim and neaten the hole by removing the frayed edges at the rim of the canyon.


Next, darn the crevice closed with the needle and thread.

Select the dinosaur patch by the size best suited to covering the mend. Unfortunately, the cute blue one wasn’t long enough.

Apply the patch using the instructions on the packet. For this dinosaur, that entailed a hot iron and covering the patch with a pressing cloth. I didn’t have one so I used an old tea-towel. Hold in place for 30 seconds. Lift the iron and check to see if the patch has stuck. If it hasn’t repeat the pressing for another 10 seconds.

When it’s stuck turn the top over and press on the back. This time for 45 seconds.


I felt a bit sorry for the little blue dinosaur. In the interests of symmetry, I attached him to the top right section of the quilt top. Well, I couldn’t leave him in the packet all by himself could I?


Iron-on patches can be problematic. After a few washes they can start to peel off. I tend to sew them on too. What can I say? When it’s a choice between a fixed quilt top and a dinosaur coming unstuck, sewing wins every time.

The quilt top is repaired and unless I tell people there was a hole, no one will know. It’s our little secret.

Now all I need to do is find a suitable backing fabric to turn this top into a quilt.

Oh, and maybe some more dinosaurs. To make it look like they were always supposed to be there. That way, it will be easier to hide the fact it’s been mended.

Concealed… and yet still out in the open. Hidden in plain sight.

Bye for now

Olly

For more sewing tips and adventures, follow me:


Facebook.com/olwenwhite/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a