Skip to main content

Using a Bakelite Sewing Pedal on a Vintage Singer 66

 Hi all

I don't come across items made from bakelite very often. Apart from two bakelite sewing machine pedals, the only other bakelite item I own is a bakelite thimble

At one time, bakelite was everywhere. From door knobs to telephones. As the world's first foray into the world of plastic, it found it's way into all aspects of life. I think it peaked in the late 1950s and then slowly fell out of favour through the 60s and into the 70s as the new and improved plastics came into play.

Anyway, I have two sewing machines that came with a bakelite foot pedal. One is the Singer 301 and the other is the latest addition to my sewing machine collection. The Singer 66. 

Image by Olwen White

This type of pedal can be found on sewing machines from around the 1930s through to the 1950s. My 301 dates to around 1954 and my 66 is from 1949. So they fall neatly into that date range. Although it's most often associated with Singer, some other brands also used this type of pedal. Necchi used the pedal on some of their Supernova range.

You'll find the bakelite pedal is particularly common on Singer's Featherweight series of machines. Which explains why some people know this pedal as the Featherweight pedal. 

Although the foot pedal on my Singer 66 is an original, I have had to replace the wiring to it. 

Image by Olwen White

Quite chunky and incredibly solid, the pedal is heavier than modern day equivalents. That's not the only difference. This pedal doesn't work in the same way as the wedge shaped foot controllers we use on modern sewing machines. 

 

Image by Olwen White

Unlike modern pedals, the body of the bakelite pedal doesn't move. Instead, you power the machine by pushing one of the two buttons found at one end of the pedal. The button on the left is just a block. It doesn't do anything. Power comes from the button on the right.

Image by Olwen White

I've got to be honest, I'm not really a fan of this style of pedal. It's not an easy device to use. In fact, there are at least 4 different ways to operate it. Which can be confusing... and more than a little counterintuitive. It's little wonder that this pedal style is no longer found on modern machines!

In my latest YouTube video, I demonstrate 4 of the more popular methods that can be used to work this pedal. Why not check it out by clicking the image below.


Don't forget to like the video so I know you dropped by and why not let me know in the comments if you've used a bakelite pedal and how you got on with it. 

Bye for now

Olly

As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a referral fee on any qualified sales made using the Amazon links shared in this blog. This doesn't cost you any extra but does help support me and my channel.

Like my blog? Help support me and my channel: 
 
Follow Simply Stitchy on Social Media: 
Twitter: @olwenwhite 
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/SimplyStitchy/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a