Skip to main content

A Snow Day Pattern Hack

Hi all,
 
Well, the snow’s back. We had a bit of a blizzard last night which has left some very impressive snow drifts today.

No way was I going out in that so I decided to grab my sewing machine and catch up on some sewing projects. I’ve been concentrating on men’s shirts for so long I’m a bit behind on my stitching list.

One of the things I like to do, especially when the weather is cold, is wear layers. Normally, like most folks that means a nice cozy sweater on top of a tee shirt. But, why not jazz it up a bit?

I have this black turtle neck that just tends to sit in my closet. I don’t wear it because, well it’s a turtle neck and doesn’t do me any favors. It’s also a little dull and a bit short. I decided to make a top I could wear over the turtle neck. Something to brighten it up a bit.

This pattern is Simplicity 2568 from 2009. 


Two pinafore or jumper style dresses and a tunic top. The pattern consists of one front piece and two back pieces with dolman sleeves. So there’s no worrying about setting them in. They’re part of the bodice already.

Now, I’m not fond of the dress styles in this pattern. Especially not the one in the middle. Although that could be because I’m off plaid at the moment…

Anyway, the view that interested me was the tunic top. Although not with that collar… or the buckles at the base.

What I ended up doing was the bodice section from view A. You can’t really tell from the picture but, the dress is two pieces. The top bodice section and a small skirt section that joins just under the pockets. Well, I thought, the top from that dress would be ideal.

I had some stretch velvet that I picked up from a thrift store a while ago. It’s a lovely bright shade of red. That’ll certainly brighten up my boring turtle neck! 



The pattern calls for a zip in the back of the dress but as the fabric has a slight stretch, I left it out. Having a boat shaped neckline gives plenty of space to get it over my head too.



Overall, I like how the top turned out. The only thing I had to keep in mind was making sure the nap of the fabric was going the same way on all pieces. Other than that, it was a nice quick sew finished in just over an hour. That’s from tracing the pattern right through to the final stitching.

Things I’d change for next time:

Forget The Facings
For the next one I’ll bind the neckline and armholes with bias binding. The facings don’t sit well and even though I’ve top stitched the neck, the pesky little critters keep coming back up to the right side. I’m not a fan of facings especially facings with a fetish for playing peek-a-boo.

Needs a Longer Length
I’d add a couple of inches as it feels a little short for me. I like my tops a little longer. That’s another reason I wanted a top to go over the turtle neck. Did I mention the turtle neck is a bit short too?

Removing the Back Seam
For the next one, I’ll cut the back pieces all in one to leave out the back seam. I’ll be using a fabric with a bit of stretch again so the zip isn’t really necessary.

Sticking with the layering theme, my next project is this waistcoat or vest pattern, McCall’s 8940 from 1997. I’m hoping to make this using fabric from my stash. That could be interesting. Apart from the flannel for T's next shirt, most of my stash is fleece or knit fabric. 



This pattern envelope recommends cotton, linen, denim, corduroy or challis so I’m going to need a woven.

Umm… I feel a rummage coming on. What better way to spend the rest of a snowy Saturday!

Bye for now

Olly


For more sewing tips and adventures follow me:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a