Skip to main content

Ladybird, Ladybird


My bathroom is full of ladybirds.

They’re coming in through the window frame. Which probably means that it needs filling somewhere or worse, replacing.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing. The ladybirds being in the bathroom that is, not the window frame. The whole bathroom needs some serious TLC to be honest.

I quite like Ladybirds. They’re probably the only insects that don’t make me drop everything and run the other way. Known as the gardener’s friend, these unassuming little bugs eat the nasty creepy crawlies that eat your best plants.

So as a nod to the Ladybirds, and a quick-fix to brighten up a room in need of some makeover inspiration, I decided to make some curtain tie-backs. Using some Ladybird buttons that I’ve had in my stash forever, and upcycling legs from some old jeans.

(1) First step, chop up the jeans.



Well, actually, the first step is to decide how long you want the tie-backs. I wanted mine to be around 7 inches (17cm) from hook on the wall to the front edge of the curtain. Just don’t forget that the tie-back goes around the back to! So when you cut the leg, make sure that you double the length. I cut a length of 16 inches (40cm) that also allowed for a seam allowance.

Next I chopped away the seams. 


So I was left with two pieces of denim. 



The width of the tie-backs is down to personal preference. Having folded my leg pieces in half, They were around 3 inches (7cm) which was OK for me. You might decide to go a bit thinner.

When you have your folded over denim – square it up and make sure both are the same size. 



(2) Interfacing

You going to want the tie-backs to have a bit of body. For that, you will need some interfacing. The Iron-on fusible type is best. It’s available wherever they sell fabric. Ask the shop assistant to help you find it. Medium weight is good enough.

Iron it on to ONE side of each folded over leg. We want body. We don’t want rigid! When you iron, make sure the bobbly side of the interfacing is facing down towards the fabric. If the bobbly side is up, you’ll stick it to your iron. 



(3) Stitching it

OK, this is where folding the leg parts over starts to make sense. It reduces the amount of sewing. With one side, already done, you only have to sew two seams. With right sides together, stitch one end seam and the base. Leave the other end open. 



You’ve made a long, thin bag. Turn it the fight side out. Now you can stitch the other end closed using a top stitch close to the edge. Don’t worry about how it looks, we’re going to be covering it up. Or you could top stitch all the way around and make a feature of it.

(4) Trim

Find a trim you like. Ribbon, Ric-rak, beading. Whatever. Head down to the fabric or craft shop and see the choices on offer. I had some edging already. It’s been in my stash for years. That’s the thing when you start sewing. Over time, you accumulate all sorts of bits and bobs. Most of it will stay unused for ages until the right project pops into mind. 



Anyway, using your trim, decorate your tie-backs, making sure both are identical. I used glue to attach mine. Make sure that you make a loop with the trim at each end. 



(5) Flowers

To make flowers, you will need a length of fabric about 1.5 inches wide by 10 inches long, depending on how big you want your flower. Smaller lengths will give smaller flowers. Grab a needle and some thread and stitch a running stitch along one of the longer edges. 



Make sure you secure the start of the running stitch. Then just push the needle in and out of the fabric all the way along. Make sure your stitches are even in size and spacing. Then when you get to the other end, pull on the thread. 

It will gather up the fabric into a flower shape. Secure the flower. Then, if you want to, find a novelty button to stitch in the middle. You could even cover some buttons with fabric. Make as many as you want.

Glue or stitch your flower to the tie-back and your done.

Enjoy! 

Bye for now

Olly

Facebook.com/olwenwhite/
instagram.com/olwenwhitewrites/
Twitter @OlwenWhite

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a