Skip to main content

A Jim Jam Hack

Hi all,

I’ve been getting a bit perplexed with the word “hack” just lately. To me, “hack” means a number of things. To “hack” at something means to chop it unevenly. Going out on a “hack” is when you take a horse ride in the country. Hacking is when someone breaks into a computer and steals or alters information. So, apart from the horse example, “hack” means to make a complete mess of something.  Although, thinking about it, horses get pretty messy on hacks…

Anyway, it seems just in the last few months or so, more and more people are using the word “hack” in relation to crafting and sewing.  I’ve read a few blogs where people have been explaining the steps they took in their “hack” of a pattern. Or describing their hack of a coat. Even cooking is getting in on the act. An article in The Daily Mail today reported on “50 Culinary Hacks to Make You Look a Pro in The Kitchen”.

Yet, the pictures of the crafts look lovely, the sewing exquisite and the food? Well, I’m not sure cooking cheese with an iron will catch on. Particularly if you forget what you used the iron for when running it over your favorite shirt. But, it’s an interesting idea.   

So what is it with this word, “hack”? Surely, they're not boasting about illegally accessing someone’s computer designs? Then it dawned on me. Like a little light bulb going “ting!"

It’s not chopping or messing or even dodgy activities with a keyboard and mouse. They are describing their “take” on something. Giving the steps needed to re-create their version of a design. Showing that personal touches and little embellishments can be added to shop bought patterns to make a home-made item unique.  I’m still digesting the iron and the cheese scenario. Not really sure it would still be edible. The cheese that is, not the iron. I wouldn’t want to make a hack of my digestive system 😀.

OK., so “hack” means to “take”. Now I get it. Well, in that case, this is my take of Simplicity’s It’s so Easy Pattern 2116. And boy, did I make a right hack of it. A total and utter screw-up from start to finish.




It’s been chilly lately. I normally wear a tee-shirt style nightshirt & shorts, but I wanted some PJ bottoms to keep me warm. I didn’t have enough fabric so decided to get a bit creative by using what I had available.  There wasn’t much. I really need to up my stash a bit.




Looks a bit weird but sewn up it becomes a nice colorful pair of jim-jam trousers to keep the cold at bay.

I didn’t have enough fabric to fold it to cut 2 like the instructions said. I cut them out one at a time. There was just enough for two leg parts on the yellow and just one leg piece each on the pink and blue. The pink and blue Stars and Moons has been in my stash for years and I’ve been, e-hem, hacking into it for other projects over time.

This is a nice simple pattern with only 2 pattern pieces for the trousers. That’s just 4 pieces of fabric. Easy peasy. What could possibly go wrong?

I’d sewn both inside legs together before I noticed that I should have turned the pattern over after cutting one back and one front piece. Two of the pieces needed to be reversed. As it was I had two identical fronts and two identical backs. That makes two left legs. Or two right legs. No good at all when you need one of each for a pair.

With no extra fabric to play with, I had to do the unthinkable. I had to use the wrong side as the right side so that the center seam would match up. 



The good news is that the pink and blue fabrics are printed on both sides so it’s not that easy to tell that it’s inside out.  As my Dad always used to say, “it’s one of them things no-one’s going to notice going by on a bus.” He has a point and as I don’t live on a bus route, I think my jim-jams will be OK.




Looking on the bright side, using the wrong side of the fabric has toned down the pink somewhat. Can’t help thinking that it’s a pity the yellow wasn’t printed on both sides though … Still, at least I can say that I have a personal and unique hack of a pattern.

Bye for now 

Olly


Facebook.com/olwenwhite/
instagram.com/olwenwhitewrites/
Twitter @OlwenWhite

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a