Skip to main content

Singer Sewing Machine



Hi all,

I hadn't realised that it has been such a long time since I uploaded anything.  I have a really good excuse. We're moving - yet again! We seem to have a knack for finding long-term lets which the landlords don't want to long-term let anymore. For what must be the fourth time in two years... actually it might be the fifth... we are dusting off the packing boxes, re-applying the packing tape and popping the bubbles in the bubble wrap. Well, there has to be a bit of fun amidst the chaos and besides, it's a good stress reliever!

So, with all the packing, unpacking and re-packing, stitching projects have fallen by the wayside.  In fact, I'm not even sure where half of the projects I was working on are any more - apart from being in a box - somewhere.

Anyway, one of the things that becomes second nature, when you move as often as I have, is clearing stuff out.   Moving stuff from one place to another is a brilliant motivator to de-clutter and hone your possessions to those that are useful or seriously sentimental.  Unfortunately, there are times when things that you want to keep get put in the wrong pile and end up getting chucked by mistake.  This is what happened to my Mum's old Singer Sewing Machine.  I was gutted when I found out it was gone.

I have been trawling through second hand shops, ebay and antique stores to try to find a replacement. I finally found this one which isn't quite right but it's fairly close.

These are the pictures after I'd cleaned it up a little.

To be spot-on, the little inspection covers and the front plate need to be silver and patterned, whereas on this one they are black and plain.


I found it on ebay for about £40 which is about right for the condition it was in. There are still so many of them around that they are not really worth much more, unless they are in mint condition.

From a seriously sentimental point of view though, this one is priceless.

Bye for now

Olly


Facebook.com/olwenwhite/
instagram.com/olwenwhitewrites/
Twitter @OlwenWhite

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a

Pattern Hacking: The Queen's Gambit Check Dress #Sewing #Cosplay

Hi all, This project has been keeping me busy for a while now.  It all started earlier this year when, tuning into Netflix, I saw The Queen's Gambit come up as a recommendation.  Now, I'd heard about the show last year. Friends and family said how brilliant it was. But I didn't get around to watching it until, I think it was mid-February this year.  Well, as soon as Youngest saw the check dress Beth wears, you know the one that swooshes when she walks, she was like, I need that dress! Me being me, "no problem, I can make one of those..." Little did I realize what I was letting myself in for! The thing is, I've searched high and low for a pattern for the dress. It's proved to be a fruitless search. A pattern for this dress just doesn't exist. I've found some close possibilities but nothing has been spot on. I have spent an age on eBay and more than a few pennies trying to get a usable pattern. Here are some of the ones I've looked at: First up V