Skip to main content

Relaxing Crafting

Do you ever have one of those days when nothing seems to go according to plan? 

Its Father's day here in the UK and the girls and I decided to take T out for a pub lunch as a bit of a treat.  Unfortunately, everywhere was booked up so we ended up at the local KFC.  That was also full so we used the drive through.  As always, they forgot the milk for the tea, the straws for the cokes, the sugar, the spoons for the coleslaw so we ended up going in anyway to get the missing parts of the order.  Still, at least they remembered the chicken!

The weather hasn't been that brilliant so after the KFC, we came back home and T spent the afternoon watching the remake of King Kong.  The girls were busy with homework so I decided to spend some time catching up on some projects.

First of all I sat down to so some knitting on a pair of socks that I have been working on.  Well, when I say a pair I mean one sock.  Actually its just the top of the first sock. By the time I had finished the first row I had lost count of the number of times I had dropped stitches so decided to save my sanity and work on something else.




I thought I'd try working on my lion next.  The picture above is from the last time I worked on it. I decided to stitch some more of the greenery - working out towards the bottom right of the picture. I was feeling really pleased with myself as I had done a fair bit.  Until I realised that I had miscounted and had started stitching in the wrong place. Yep - you guessed it - it all had to come back out.  

Ok I thought I'm not having much luck with stitchy type things today so what else can I do that's crafty?  I know, I'll make a start on the Victorian Purse kit I got from Jane over at World Embroideries a few months back.  Thinking about it, I think it might have been before Christmas. 


The first step in the instructions was to transfer the beads to the perle cotton.  Now what could be difficult about that?  Ok, the next step was to undo the knot at the top of one of the hank of beads and gently pull on one of the strings and secure with scotch tape.  I think the instructions at this point should also have said remember to hold on to the other strings.  It wasn't easy picking all the beads up off the floor - they are so tiny and re-threading them on the strings was very fiddly.

Anyway, I managed it and having tied one string from the hank to the perle cotton, got some of the beads transferred over.  Cool Eh?


So I was on a roll.  Finally something was going OK... Until that is I came across one pesky little bead that seemed to have a smaller hole than all the rest and simply would not move from the string to the perle cotton.  No amount of coaxing or shoving would get it to budge.  So I resorted to brut force, broke the string and ended up back on the floor picking up the beads.


Having got the beads back on the string, my cat Pat, decided that now would be a good time to play - with the string of beads.  Have you ever tried to detangle a cat from a string of beads?  Not easy.  He thought it was a great game - bless him.  I put him outside and he watched me through the window picking up beads from the floor.  I'm sure he was smiling.

You'll be pleased to know that all the beads are back on the string - and yes back in their packet in the sewing box.  I've given up on crafting for today - way too much excitement!

Bye for now

Olly


Facebook.com/olwenwhite/
instagram.com/olwenwhitewrites/
Twitter @OlwenWhite

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Keep The Original Hem When Turning Up Jeans

Hi all, You’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but as always, they are 3 miles too long. I’m going to show you how to fix them so they fit your leg length perfectly.  Better still, I’ll show you how this technique will work with any pants or trousers with an original jean-like hem. Like these 511 trousers. You will need : Pair of jeans or trousers that need turning up Sewing machine Zipper foot Thread to match your jeans/trousers Tape measure or ruler Safety pins or plastic clips Iron and ironing board Pressing cloth Step 1 Stand up and try on your jeans. With the shoes you usually wear or the pair you intend to wear with them. This is important as the shoes you wear will make a difference to the size of the turn up you need. Turn up the bottom of each leg so the wrong side of the hem is showing. Then move it up or down until you are happy with how they sit on the tops of your shoes. Fiddle with them, turning them up a bit more or do

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!    Why? Beca

Quilt Show Trekking Across the USA

Hi all I've been quilting for a while now but last year, 2022, was the first time I attended a quilt show. Well, it turned out to be three quilt shows. All in the same month pretty much. The first was a relatively new outdoor quilt show in a town about two hours away from me. I wasn't sure what to expect but the talent on show, even in the basic quilts, was simply amazing.  I even managed to find a new friend for my sewing area. A Singer 99 from 1926. In need of a little TLC, she has become a welcome addition to my vintage sewing machine collection.     I thought this quilt was adorable. The little cat reminded me so much of my own two little monsters.    As a fan of the Sunbonnet Sue block, this quilt made me smile too! The next was in the closest metropolis to me. It was a lot bigger and was held in a convention center. I didn't think it was possible to get so many quilts all in one area. I found this humerus is a fitting title for the cat with a bone! I was chuckling a