Skip to main content

From Dog's Dinner to Paw-fect Project -Thanks to the Addi Express

 Hi all,

I am having the best day ever! As a member of the local fiber arts group, I get to borrow equipment like spinning wheels, drum carders, and books. 

Today, thanks to the group, I'm playing with an Addi Express knitting machine. Its a 22 needle machine that I thought would be perfect for socks. Oh boy was I surprised when I found out it can do so much more!


Now, I have used a knitting machine before. It's an Inspiration and looks a lot more like a Sentro. Unfortunately, it was a charity shop find and doesn't really work that well. 

 

(C) Olwen White

Although I have had some success with it, most of the projects I tried ended up as knotty noodles and in the to-be-frogged pile. Nothing dents your productivity quicker than a gadget that doesn't work properly. 

These two hats are the only decent items I have made on it:

(C) Olwen White
(C) Olwen White

 

Even so, I was constantly sorting out dropped stitches, skipped stitches, and general tension issues. Oh, and the lack of any kind of row counter meant I was stopping after every row to make a note of how many I had completed. 

To get the two hats above I ended up changing the yarn I was using. Some knitting machines can be fussy about yarn. Up until this point I had been using Red Heart Super Saver. It was a disaster! So I tried two other yarns in my stash.

Up first was the cream and blue-grey hat. I made that one with a Caron Big Cake which I think is a size 4. It worked quite well the first time I used it. My second attempt using the same yarn wasn't as successful. Granted, it was in a different color, but... seriously... are knitting machines really so... fickle?

Next, I tried the multi-colored yarn. It turned out to be the easiest to use. It has a shiny kind of coating that made it simply glide through the Inspiration knitting machine. Unfortunately, I picked that up at a charity shop too and I think it's discontinued. 

 


The last thing I want to do is start buying different, or specific yarn, to use a knitting machine. Besides, at some point, I'd like to use handspun. I really don't need a machine that is picky about the yarn it will work with.

Which is where the Addi Express comes in.

The instructions say it can use nearly any yarn.

So, me being me, and in the interests of science, I've put it to the test. I used 100% cotton. Unfortunately, other than knowing it's cotton, I don't have a clue what brand it is. In the time it took me to set up the machine, the label has gone walkabout.

(C) Olwen White

Anyway, for the initial test, I thought I'd try a familiar pattern. I made a hat. I cast on 80 rows. The first attempt is the bigger one in the picture below. 

(C) Olwen White

The Addi coped without any issues at all. No glitches or skipped stitches. It just knitted. Better still - the Addi has a counter so all I had to do was turn the crank. Even better still - the larger hat took less than twenty minutes.

The finished hat also gave me an idea. 

I started a crochet project a couple of months ago. It's for an amigurumi dog. The project was going great. Until I realized I'd made a bit of a rookie error. 

You see that hole in the top of the dog's head? Well, that's supposed to be the bottom.. where the head gets sewn to the body. It kind of turned my project into a bit of a dog's dinner.

(C) Olwen White

I didn't notice that the nose and eye patch were upside down until after I'd sewn them on. Now, I could unpick them and turn the head the right way up... but I made another hat on the Addi instead.

I cast on 40 rows for this smaller hat...

(C) Olwen White

And I think it works a treat! From dog's dinner to paw-fect project in less than 10 minutes! All thanks to the Addi Express.

I'm impressed! And it's such a joy to use!

There is a book that goes with the Addi Express called Addi Express Turbo-Knitting 2 and it has instructions on making actual garments. On a knitting machine with only 22 needles! 

Basically, you use the flat knitting feature and make panels that you sew into garments. 

 


How cool is that? Some of the patterns in this book are adorable. So much so, that I feel there is a poncho in my knitting future! 

Have you ever tried an Addi Knitting Machine? What did you think of it? How did you get on? Let me know in the comments.

Thanks for reading!

Bye for now

Olly

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through using the Amazon links that I include on my blogs and my YouTube channel. Check out my Amazon Store!

All photographs are the property of Olwen White and are not to be used for any reason without prior permission.

Check out my sewing videos https://www.youtube.com/@SimplyStitchy



 

 

 

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A soft spot or OSMC

Hi there,  I was having a bit of a nose around a local second hand shop over the weekend and came across this: It was tucked down the side of some furniture, looking a bit sorry for itself, just sitting there all alone. Well, I couldn't leave it there.  Poor thing looks like its had a bit of a hard life. It's a Mundlos machine, originally designed to go on a treadle table judging by the lack of a tool compartment, little holes in the base just under the hand crank and the small groove just behind the wheel. The little holes and groove would have been for the belt attaching the machine to the pedal.  The tools would probably have been kept in the table. The golden badge is the Mundlos company's trade mark and the portrait is of Heinrich Mundlos, one of the company's founders.  The little switch to the side is a handy little gadget that pops the shuttle out of the bobbin compartment. Originally, this machine would have been decorated with ...

The Charity Shop Find & the Headache from Hell!

 Hi all I've always been a fan of charity shops. Even before they became a fashionable way to reuse or  repurpose other people's unwanted clutter.  To me, they have always been a gateway for feeding my addiction to vintage and antique sewing machines.  Like this one.  Isn't she a beauty? According to the markings, She is a New Home machine made in West Germany so I'm guessing she's a post war... maybe 1950s... electric sewing machine.    She has a bolt-on motor and the shortest electric cable I have ever seen on a sewing machine! Look at it! It's tiny! That's never going to reach any of my electrical outlets. I'm thinking that this vintage sewing machine was made to be in a cabinet... or a previous owner cut the cable for some reason.  Maybe their outlets were mounted on a desk and they didn't want long cables cluttering the workspace?  Who knows? One thing I do know, is this sewing machine is going to give me a little bit of a headache!...

Cover Kits

This is Lickle Ted by DMC. Did I mention that I have a soft spot for teddy bears? Its a cover kit from The World of Cross Stitching Magazine from a couple of months back -April's issue I think, could have been March, I forget.  I like doing cover kits as they are usually small enough to finish in a short space of time. Anyway, I thought this little guy was so cute I started stitching it as soon as I got the Magazine, which was pretty much when it came out. I finished him today - 18 June 2010! He only takes up a 4" square!  So much for cover kits being quick to do! My main problem was not being able to see the difference in some of the colours.  It has two shades of cream and two shades of beige.  My other problem was running out of thread.   The back stitch for the outlining is in DMC 3371 which is the chocolate brown above.  The kit only had one length of around about 8" of the thread.  I ran out before I h...